Friday, January 05, 2007

My name is Bev, and I've been sober for 2 weeks...

A couple of weeks ago I decided to under go what some might call a social experiment in my household. I am quitting my cable box/DVR. I say quitting because though I turned it in a couple of weeks ago, it was an addiction, thus I am still in withdrawal mode.
This came about by my realization that it was an addiction. I could spend all day in front of it switching from one hundred channel block to another hundred channel block and not settle on one thing I found fascinating yet spend that entire day changing the channels anyhow. So out it went.
For days after I took it in, I would sit down in front of the TV and reach for the control only to realize that my best friend was gone. :) Hehehe… I’m mostly over it now. The extra hundred bucks in my pocket every month should help sooth my pain.
Currently, however, I still have to take deep breaths when I think of missing Grey’s Anatomy. I can wait until this season comes out on DVD and catch up that way though. The kid’s shows I can get on DVD.
Without that box, I now find myself with time for things around here. I’m actually reading books with my husband, stamping, even reorganizing parts of the house. The kids are interacting with each other more…and I even think they’re being nicer to each other-if that’s possible with a 1 &3 year old...it sounds cooky...but I'm really seeing a difference in their crabiness level!
All in all, it’s been very good….*sigh* It just hurts to let go of an addiction. I’d never been addicted to anything before, so this was new to me. Sure I smoked for a while in highschool, but that was really just a social thing, not a real addiction.
My name is Bev, and I’ve been sober for 2 weeks.

4 comments:

snavleyclan7 said...

HOLY COW bev. You are braver than me.

Good Luck!!!!!

Ellen said...

Way to go! I think my husband would shoot me if I got rid of that thing. I have threatened it before as he is the one who gets home from work and sits in front of the darn tv or computer half the night. I even threatened to get rid of the computer, but then how would I keep in contact with you wonderful ladies?

Tanya said...

I am so proud of you! Hang in there it will get easier. Hmmmm I could think of a few things that you could spend that money on....

Susan said...

Hi, my name is Susan and I am an enabler. When Big Love starts again, you can watch it here.