Friday, October 26, 2007

From Ashes

Hi!
Sorry I've been neglecting the old blog, but life kinda got super crazy about a week and a half ago.

We had a house fire. We're all safe. The house did not fare so well.

The fire started out on the deck, near the dinning room- we had cleaned the ashes out of the fire place and they should have been out (they'd been out all night) but some how a hot little spark started something (?) in it's bucket and somehow that traveled to the side of the house. It was breakfast time and Michael was getting the kids breakfast. I was sleeping. Michael heard something out on the deck and looked out expecting to see a squirrel, but instead saw fire on the eaves of the house. We got out really quick and the fire department (a block down the road) got there in half an hour.

The kitchen and the dinning room have the most fire damage, but the fire went through the insulation in the roof and b/c the smoke densely spread throughout the whole top floor (main living area) anything that the smoke touched is now gone b/c of the chemicals from the insulation smoke.

Now the water from the fire hoses went through to the bottom floor- flooding that, and soaked into almost every wall in the house. Fire damage, smoke damage, and water damage. They estimate 6-8 months for rebuilding.


Now I don't want you to get concerned. We have aaaaaamaaaazing insurance. They have been fantastic and every little thing has been taken care of. We're in a nice hotel and have clothes and food and life keeps going. :) The kids think they're on vacation.

We have to buy all new everything. I'm normally and shopping fanatic...however....it's starting to get old. I still have that mind set when I'm walking though the isles "we don't need one more thing"...and then it hits me again: we don't have that anymore. Hehehe...


We're now looking for a rental property and trying to figure out what we want the house to look like now. I feel like we're flipping our house. *WEIRD* We have to decide everything from top to bottom- bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, dinning room, living room, stairway, deck, paint on every wall, all flooring, windows, layout...yada yada yada. Not to mention our belongings. Well, anyway...

I've had friends ask me "aren't you sad about all your stuff", "what was it like to see your house burning?". The second you are out and see that your kids are fine- I didn't care if the whole thing went up in flames. I mean, I do get moments where something I've lost dawns on me- like my cookbooks with family members writing and my favorite recipes, or a binder we had of Michael's grandfather's life story (we can get another copy). Luckily my scrapbooks and pictures were in seemingly the only corner of the downstairs that didn't have water damage.


Well, I have to get the kids to sleep. More later. :)

7 comments:

Andrea said...

We are so glad to hear that you and Michael and the kids are o.k.! We are also so very sorry to hear that you are going through this trial right now but know that your strength as a family will get you through this too.

Terri said...

oh my gosh Bev we didn't think that is was that bad.....

Mama Erne said...

Bev, I'm super glad that everyone is safe, warm, fed and doing well.

MandySue said...

Thank goodness you are all okay! I am sure you have heard that a million times already. Thank goodness for insurance! We love USAA!

Ellen said...

Bev, so glad to here everyone is safe and doing well. You are in my prayers!

Carole Burrage said...

Wow. I just stumbled on to your blog. I am so, so sorry for the loss of your stuff -- it's just stuff, but it was yours, and that's definitely a loss. Thank heavens, though, that everyone is alright. You seem to have a great attitude though, and I wish you continued strength and good humor throughout this trying time. Hugs!

bettybetty said...

Y O U are so off the hook for not blogging. What drama must be going on in your world about now. I hope the new home will be finished quick quick quick. It sure makes you realize that our possessions aren't as precious as we think doesn't it. Glad to hear you and yours are safe and sound.