Wednesday, July 02, 2008

"The Man" Card Tutorial

First, I shall warn you. This is a step-by-step, make the body of your dreams card tutorial. :) Not overly difficult. You just have to jump in and do it. Such fun!! :)

As always, this card is my very own idea and creation. Please do not take it and claim it as yours for publication or contest submissions. Please DO make it and send it to your bffs, crazy Aunt Joyce, whatever. :)
So let's get started!
I start with a 4 1/4" by 11" piece of Creamy Caramel card stock, scored and folded in half.
You want to take a pencil and draw an outline of a well built and manly silhouette. (If you need a "model" try looking up "abs" under photobucket..whew! That's some tough homework, boy I'll tell ya!) Now cut that out and (you can't see it so great in this next picture, but) lightly outline the chest, six pack, belly button and hips so you know where you are going to want shading the most.
Take your creamy caramel ink pad and a dauber and add ink to the side of the card first. My approach is once I ink up my dauber, I pounce a little off on my paper so I don't get such harsh lines of ink. Better less working towards more, than more wishing for less.
You can quote me on that.Now that you've inked the sides, you'll want to start in towards the center...oh man! You see how I inked my dauber too much and made that big'ole circle in the center of his chest? Well, I'll fix that in the next couple steps and you can too, if you mess up along the way!

I do the creamy caramel definition first:



And then I come in with white craft (with it's own dauber- the little sponge tip on my finger) and add highlight.At this point, I pounce my creamy caramel dauber a lot on my scrap paper until no ink is on it. Once it is free of ink, I use to to go over the harsh lines and blend everything together.I'll add more definition on the sides with more creamy caramel (man, I wish I could do that to myself!)...more definition with caramel. *snicker*Once you've got it where you want it, *lightly* use your pencil to outline the muscles and chest.And use you white gel pen to define the nipples...why does it feel wrong to say that for crying out loud!I try to pick pattern paper for his shorts that aren't real feminine. Something I could see a guy wearing, ya know? So I've chosen this pattern here, and have cut it out to 4 1/4" by 1 1/2"...you can do more or less. But, erm, less that 1 1/4" is seriously going over the line, people. While I've got the pattern paper out, I also cut out a rectangle for his pocket and a strip for his zipper cover.Adhere all the patter paper on. I use a sanding block and sand down some of the paper to add some roughness to the shorts...I dunno what that says about me, but I think it looks better on this guy. LOL

I also take that creamy caramel dauber and "dirty up" the sanded edges...b/c I like it to look like this guy can get dirty. Not that kinda dirty. Seriously. I've chosen to put ribbon around his waist as the band of his shorts. I use double stitched ribbon b/c when you pull both stitching thusely... it will crinkle up and look a lot like an elastic waste band. Adhere said ribbon and take out your paper piercing tool. This part is optional. I will poke two holes right above his "zipper cover" and thread linen thread through that and tie it. I just think it finishes it off nicely. Last step? Give him your stamp of approval. Here, I chose "happiness"...in the past I've written "Some Beach, Somewhere.." with my white gel pen. You pick!

And there you have him! (Once you are done, consider making yourself a little silhouette template of the card so you won't have to do that step next time!)

Card Recipe (Stampin' Up! everything):

Cream Carmel card stock, blue bayou designer series paper, blue bayou double stitched ribbon, Warm Words stamp set, creamy caramel classic ink, Whisper White craft ink, white gel pen.

I do hope you give it a try, and as always, if you do, leave me a link so I can see what you did and how low you chose to make that waste band. ;) Like I said...my friends may never read me again.

21 comments:

Mary said...

Wow!

Tandra said...

Oh Bev I was PIMPs reading your commentary! You are so funny!!!
Just a fabulous job, yes, fabulous!!!

Kristie Morrison said...

NICE!!!!!!!!

digibbs said...

You, my dear are BRILLIANT!!!

Diana Gibbs

Joan B said...

Thanks for checking out my blog. When I saw this my jaw dropped. You rock!

Speedystamper said...

GREAT job!!! TFS the step by step!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG, that is toooo cool. You did a great job and thanks to Joan B on SCS for the link. diane617

Jaspere said...

Wow! That is fantastic. That's definitely a card that wouldn't get tossed in the recycle bin, no matter who received it.

Erika Martin - Stampin' Mama said...

Haha! This ROCKS!

Paige AKA stampingPaige said...

Hee Hee, I just saw this through a SCS forum link- this is awesome! Thanks for sharing a great card and an awesome technique.

Rita, an Inky Friend said...

You're a stitch!! I love the commentary - and the card!!

rita w

Brooke S said...

WOO! Baby I had to see it to believe it. I might have to try this!!! SO clever you are. Maybe I will see you at convention.. I am going and I live just outside of SLC.

Megan said...

This is the coolest card...you are awesome! This is definatly one for the favorites! I will surely be making one of these! Maybe I will make it just to stare at it! :)

Diane Barnes said...

All I can say is WOW! I would never have thought this was inked if you hadnt shown the tutorial. As we say in Aus, you are a total legend! Best wishes, Di

Pamela said...

You are one talented chicky...

Donna said...

hee hee - this is awesome! so real & hot, hot, hot!

Julia Aston said...

super! thanks for sharing your creative artistry and how you accomplished it- I'm going to give this a try!

Christyne (aka Apple Blossom) said...

WOWIE ZOWIE! That is WICKED COOL! Thanks for sharing your hunk with us - LOL!

Butternut Sage Designs said...

OH MY GOODNESS< I have been on vacation this week, in in Las Vegas and I did not see abs like these!WHAT AN AWESOME CARD you Rock Girl! You are amazing...thank you thank you thank you for such a FINE tutorial. ps...I think you are missing hubby way too much! LOL! Love ya ~Donna

loyaz said...

What a great tutorial. Here's my first attempt:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=30577

Thanks for sharing.

DianeL
loyaz1@wbhsi.net

Emily said...

I just found your web site and I have always loved ABS!!!! I must try this....it is so creative, thanks for sharing, I'll be following....em