Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dollar Find Friday: Valentines Candy Jar

It is my honor today to welcome you to Dollar Find Friday! If you remember right, the There She Goes designers take turns hosting Dollar Find Friday and today it's MY turn!
My dollar item is this week is this humble yet super useful Ball jar.
Hello sugar. Prepare to be pimped!
To pimp one of your very own jars, you will need:

~designer paper(cut into a large circle -measure the lid and add an inch to either side), I used Parisian Summer dsp by Stampin' Up!
~stamped pretties for the lid (Sending My Love set used here)
~mini glue dots to hold the designer paper to the lid
~twine or thread to hold the paper around the lid
~ribbon to gussy it up
~yummy candy to fill this baby
Here is a tip for ya:
When tieing on the twine/thread, holding the paper down can be frustrating. Take the scrunchy out of your hair and use it to hold the paper down while you tie it in place. I love multi-purpose tools!! :)
Now you can tie the ribbon over the twine and make a nice bow toward where you want the front to be.
As for the lid, I used my Coluzzle to cut out the circles, then took my corner rounder punch and made a scalloped edge on the Pink Pirouette piece (you can find directions for that HERE). The tree and sentiment and little heart behind the sentiment are all from the SUPRAH cute new mini set called Sending My Love, by There She Goes. It's just like that cool tree set of their's that I love (Branching Out) but smaller and it's a total steal!!!
I stamped it onto watercolor paper, used my Aquapainter and SU! markers to watercolor it. I used some barely banana around the tree to highlight it. The hearts all have some sparkle to them, by taking my At You Spica clear glitter pen to them. I also used some Flower Soft on the puffy pink hearts to add some fun, soft texture.
So there you have it. I filled mine up with Swedish Fish b/c they go so well with the Valentines colors...that and I don't care for red hots. Eww. Heat should not be combined with sweetness...unless it's creme brulee. Then torch it baby! :)
Do ya like the jar? It cost me a buck! :)

8 comments:

Tanya said...

This is way cute!
hee hee- love the part about using the hair thing- that's the same one in my hair right now! LOL!

silkeledlow@yahoo.com said...

Totally cute idea!!! Perfect for Valentine!!! Hope you sent one my way - LOL?!?

Dawn Easton said...

Bev, this is adorable! What a sweet little gift! I'm loving that Flower Soft too....looks great on your hearts!

Lisa Brown said...

Bev, this is precious! really cute idea!

Jen said...

So cute Bev! Where did you get your jar? I've been looking all over for jars like that...I've heard legends that they exist and you finally have proved it!! Thanks in advance!

Jen

Bev said...

Jen,
You can get these Ball canning jars anywhere canning supplies is sold. Most of the time right in your very own grocery store! Just ask for the canning section. I know all the Walmarts I've been to have them. Hope this helps you! :)
-Bev

KellyJean said...

Do I like the jar? uh... chya! As always, great job and TsomuchFS!

Donelda said...

I love the jar! I am always frustrated with "containers" that are out there to "alter" because they are so big. Not only do the containers cost money but I feel like I'm going to go broke filling it!! Now that little jar is just the right size to say "thanks" or "thinking of you" without breaking the bank!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!